Tuesday 10 March 2009

I thought this was kind of sad.

I was reading about the fast food part, notably how he dissects McDonald's food. I have to admit, I have always been partial to their fries, but could never eat their meat. Glad for that, after what I read. Anyway, Pollan writes about how 1 in every 5 Americans suffers from type 2 diabetes and goes on to say:

"The problem is not limited to America: The United Nations reported that in 2000 the number of people suffering from overnutrition--a billion--had officially surpassed the number suffering from malnutrition--800 million."

How sad is that? I had never thought about it in terms like that... I think I'll feel bad every time I overeat.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Seriously a billion people are suffering from overnutrition. Crazy.

Yeah the whole 38 (or something) ingredients in a Chicken McNugget- gross! I still love their fries...

k. said...

Have you ever seen Fast Food Nation? or Super Size Me? Both made me give up meat for weeks on end, and I bet that I've only eaten at McDonalds less than 10 times since (in probably 5 years). Ew, ew, ew. Not that I'm so wonderful or anything. I was just totally grossed out.

That statistic about overnutrition is absolutely shocking. How sad.