Wednesday 25 February 2009

Big Organic

"So is an industrial organic food chain finally a contradiction in terms? It's hard to escape the conclustion that it is. Of course it is possible to live with contradictions, at least for a time, and sometimes it is necessary or worthwhile. But we ought to at least face up to the cost of our compromises. The inspiration for organic was to find a way to feed ourselves more in keeping with the logic of nature, to build a food system that looked more like an ecosystem that would draw its fertility and energy from the sun. To feed ourselves otherwise was 'unsustainable,' a word that's been so abused we're apt to forget what it very specifically means: Sooner or later it must collapse. To a remarkable extent, farmers succeeded in creating the new food chain on their farms; the trouble began when they encountered the expectations of the supermarket... And so, today, the organic food industry finds itself in a most unexpected, uncomfortable, and yes, unsustainable position: floating on a sinking sea of petroleum." (Pages 183-184)

2 comments:

k. said...

Oh dear. Good point.

I love going to the farmer's market at Union Square (especially in the summer) and picking up fresh produce. And it make me feel better knowing that it's grown from relatively small farms in Upstate New York, etc. I need to be better.

I'm still only like 1/6 of the way through this book. I think the corn chapters really scared me off. Can I skip them? Where should I start up? I read all of the 1st Harry Potter book on the way out here (OR) and my brain is feeling like it needs to build up some braincells again.

Heidi said...

Skip the corn! That part was totally boring.