Wednesday 10 December 2008

Unexpected (another spoiler)

Okay I finished last night. I was a little emotional.

And wondering... was Leisel then raised by the Hermann's? I was pleasantly surprised that Ilsa came for her after the bombing. Their relationship really intrigued me. I hoped that from that point on they could possibly help relieve some of the pain and sadness each had experienced.

I love the theme in the book about the power of words. The power they gave to Hitler. All that they did for Leisel. Bad and good things.

And lastly, this is a total tangent, but the last line "I am haunted by humans" just reminded me of the last line of A River Runs Through It (I am haunted by waters)- one of my favorite movies. I need to read that book.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

It does seem like they continued their relationship post-Nazi Germany and that she could be raised by Ilsa. I wonder what Ilsa's husband was like though - probably pro Nazi, right? I am just assuming since he was in government and I can't see Liesel wanting to be raised by someone like that. But I can't remember if we know more details about the husband, so maybe he is irrelevant in that regard.

I kind of hoped that Liesel was then raised by Alex Steiner, but I think you are right about the Hermann's. I just liked Alex better than Ilsa.

I also loved the theme of the power of words for the same reaons. They power/hope they gave Liesel and Max constrasted with Hitler's disgusting propaganda/brainwashing use of them.