Wednesday 10 December 2008

Liesel + Max (spoiler)

Question. Were they just friends? Or was there more? They obviously connected and understood and loved each other on another level, but do you think there was romantic love involved? I did. But maybe that is because I wanted it to be there? Do you think they ended up together? When we read at the end that Liesel went to live in Australia, I thought they probably didn't end up together, even though I wanted them to. Thoughts?

I really want to know the rest of their story!

4 comments:

k. said...

I like to think (hope) that they ended up together, because from the beginning, despite the age difference & Liesel's young age, I think that there was love. They connected to each other in a very, very special way. And special really doesn't seem to be the appropriate word. Max leaving Nazi Germany post-war would seem to make sense, right? I suppose Australia is a bit random, but who knows. I'm going to pretend that they never wanted to be in Germany again, that they wanted to start somewhere fresh, where they could write. Hmm.

Good question, Lindsey.

Jennifer said...

Oh, they for sure ended up together. At least in my version. I got a definite love vibe--especially when Liesel saw him in the street during the "parade."

I wonder if Zusak has addressed this anywhere on the www. I'll look.

Heidi said...

Maybe it was Australia beacause that is where the author is from and I guess his parents (?) emigrated there from Nazi Germany. He probably stuck to what he knew.

So I guess I should add that I finished it last night. I wanted more of their story too. I have to admit though I was always rooting for her to go ahead and kiss Rudy (while he was alive). Still sad that she never did until he died.

Lindsey said...

I TOTALLY wanted her to kiss Rudy too. I was just like - please, just plant one on him! They were really sweet together. I liked Rudy a lot.