Thursday 30 October 2008

Books

Here's the deal. I compiled our book lists together. The *'s indicate how many people listed it as a book to read. By all means, comment about the books that look most interesting to you. Let's pick a book by tomorrow and then get reading... Oh, and if you've read a book and don't want to re-read it, put that in the comments too.

Fiction
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.
Saturday by Ian McEwan
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak***
East of Eden by John Steinbeck**
Middlemarch by George Eliot
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
The Guernsey Literary and Pototo Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer
The Sixteen Pleasures by Robert Hellenga
The Brothers K by David James Duncan
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Szafran Foer**
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Pope Joan by Donna Cross
Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
The Sun Also Rises: Hemingway**
Song of Solomon: Toni Morrison
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter: Carson McCullers
Precious Bane: Mary Webb
My Name is Asher Lev: Chaim Potok
Running in the Family: Michael Ondaatje
All the King’s Men: Warren
All Over But the Shoutin’: Rick Bragg
I Capture the Castle: Dodie Smith
Persuasion: Jane Austen
Anna Karenina:
Leo Tolstoy
These Is My Words: Nancy Turner
On Beauty: Zadie Smith**
Three Junes: Julia Glass
My Grandfather’s Son: Clarence Thomas
The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - J.S. Foer
Kafka on the Shore - Murakami
Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
The Wordy Shipmates - Sarah Vowell
The Real Thing by Tom Stoppard
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
Zazie in the Metro by Raymond Queneau

Non-Fiction
Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Lyman Bushman
Through the Children's Gate: A Home in New York by Adam Gopnik
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan**
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan**
The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton**
Watching the English by Kate Fox**
Flapper: A Madcap of Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women who made America Modern by Joshua Zeitz
The People’s History of the United States: Howard Zinn
Dreams from my Father: Barack Obama
The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream - Barack Obama

5 comments:

k. said...

My top three:

The Book Thief
My Name is Asher Lev
Extremely Loud Incredibly Close*

*I've already read it, but I loved it and wouldn't be opposed to a re-read.

Lindsey said...

My top three are:

The Book Thief
Everything is Illuminated
On Beauty

I would be happy to re-read Extremely Loud Incredibly Close if the others haven't and want to read it.

I've read Gilead and didn't really get into it... but I'd be curious to hear what those who have read it think.

And I like non-fiction, so happy to read any of those.

Heidi said...

My top three are

The Book Thief
East of Eden
These is My Words


I once started Gilead and never finished, couldn't get into it. I think the pick this month should be fiction and then maybe non-fiction next month?

Heidi said...

Or not that we have to go by "months" but you know what I mean...

Jennifer said...

I'm feeling totally submissive lately, so just tell me what to read.

But, I did read The Last Summer of You and Me (Sisterhood author) and although it was good, I'm not so sure I'd be up for a re-read. It's a good beach read...fast.